2EZ Forums
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Metagame

+3
pyrot53
CopyEyeKakashi
Password
7 posters

Go down

Metagame  Empty Metagame

Post  Password Fri Sep 10, 2010 10:58 pm

Metagaming. We hear that word a lot, but what does it actually mean?

Metagaming is a broad term usually used to define any strategy, action or method used in a game which transcends a prescribed ruleset, uses external factors to affect the game, or goes beyond the supposed limits or environment set by the game. This includes abusing the wording on a card to make it overpowered (see infiltration).

But my focus is "Meta". Meta in any card game is usually used to describe the current state of the game. A meta-deck is a deck that is significantly better than everything else. It is usually after a deck wins so many events, it is deemed "meta".

There are really 2 kinds of meta: The meta where one deck is dominant, and you either use the meta deck, or the anti meta deck (deck filled with counters to beat the meta deck, but usually loses to everything else). Examples: 9k, OC, Freedori, Snakes, Respective Dreams etc.

The other kind is when every deck is considered equally powerful. Each deck has its good match-ups, and bad match-ups. But there is usually a deck that comes out of no where and wins the event, and becomes the BDIF (Best deck in format) aka new meta deck. That deck can win for several reasons, being unexpected, having a great pilot, or simply just being broken, and once it wins a large event you are bound to see people start to play that deck, thus creating a meta.

Right now the game seems to be more the second one, but that is because there hasn't been any big events to decide a best deck. Bandai has created many playable decks and there doesnt seem to be a clear victor as to what is the best. This means you have to rely generally on two options; A: Skill, or B: Matchups. Obviously there is always luck involved, after all this is a card game, but to decrease the impact that luck has on your game you are going to want one or both of those two options.

Some people prefer when there is 1 deck being played, because playing in the mirror really shows who has the most skill. But others hate playing the same deck over and over again at an event. When you play the same deck every round people may say "Oh you got lucky" or "You just drew better" but in reality you need to know when to play what. For example in the latest meta, Respective Dreams Earth, a good dreams player playing against the mirror match wouldn't attack into giving your opponent 2 or more battle rewards. Doing this allowed your opponent to get the full extent of their combo off. You generally had to wait until T4 or 5 to start attacking for Battle Rewards because you often had created enough of an advantage by then. Similarly in a 9k meta, if you used up all of your jutsus too early you could often lose if they hit their Gaara and can play justsu to ruin you're field. Knowing your match ups is a key part of the meta game, while it be the mirror match or another deck that can compete for first place.

A meta is usually considered healthy when 4-5 decks have a fighting chance at winning, rather than just 1 maybe 2. Knowing matchups is very key in a diverse meta like this. Knowing what to side deck becomes a key part of the game. With 4-5 decks having an "equal" chance at winning, each deck is going to have to play each other, and obviously some decks have an advantage over others or there wouldn't be a diverse meta. Now, you either have to hope you dont play your bad matchup, or find cards to give you an advantage against those decks, the latter is the better choice. With Naruto having small sideboards this can potentially present a problem. One deck can have a good matchup against 2 or 3 decks and then have an awful match up against 1 to 2 other decks and now you have to have your regular sideboard (key cards to get rid of the "hate" cards for your deck, because at this point in the game there is hate for EVERY deck) and cards to improve your matchup.

Next week look forward to Tom's article on sideboarding!

Discuss what kind of meta you prefer, and thoughts on what the next meta might shape out to be.

Password
Password
ANBU
ANBU

Back to top Go down

Metagame  Empty Re: Metagame

Post  CopyEyeKakashi Sat Sep 11, 2010 12:18 am

for once you actually wrote something somewhat intelligent.
CopyEyeKakashi
CopyEyeKakashi
Special Jonin
Special Jonin

Back to top Go down

Post  pyrot53 Sat Sep 11, 2010 1:44 am

Really like the article dude. I really prefer metas with a specific best deck. Make the game more fun IMO.
pyrot53
pyrot53
ANBU
ANBU

https://2ezforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  owwruiphantom Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:37 am

Noice article guy.
owwruiphantom
owwruiphantom
Genin
Genin

Back to top Go down

Post  owwruiphantom Sat Sep 11, 2010 8:40 am

Wtf @ Not letting me edit my post

Im the kind of player that likes the wide open meta ( meaning like 4-7 different decks that are all have theire counters as well as the deck that beats them) It leaves more room for super secret blowout tech.
owwruiphantom
owwruiphantom
Genin
Genin

Back to top Go down

Post  Password Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:14 am

CopyEyeKakashi wrote:for once you actually wrote something somewhat intelligent.

I wish I could say the same about you.

Glad you guys like it though. I figured I should do admin like things for once...or at least make an article. ;p
Password
Password
ANBU
ANBU

Back to top Go down

Post  ill communicator Sat Sep 11, 2010 11:27 am

props on the article bro, i enjoyed it..

as for the meta that i enjoy the most, its probably a more narrow window for me, i like it when it's moderately equal, i guess, not liek 8 decks i n the format but maybe like 4-5ish, its easier to make a deck and main board cards that are optimal in about everymatch up than you can just use your knowledge on the matchup to side accordingly. I kinda dislike a format where everything is the same, it's to 2EZ..
ill communicator
ill communicator
ANBU

Back to top Go down

Post  [chemical.kirby] Sat Sep 11, 2010 2:28 pm

after going 3-0 in magic and then losing to meta naya and blue white control i can feel what your saying

[chemical.kirby]
Chunin
Chunin

Back to top Go down

Post  The_Sixth_Prong Sat Sep 11, 2010 10:37 pm

I liked this article more than a lot of the Bandai articles. Good job on it.
The_Sixth_Prong
The_Sixth_Prong
Special Jonin
Special Jonin

https://facebook.com/tony.lucchetti

Back to top Go down

Post  [chemical.kirby] Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:12 am

The_Sixth_Prong wrote:I liked this article more than a lot of the Bandai articles. Good job on it.
this too

[chemical.kirby]
Chunin
Chunin

Back to top Go down

Post  owwruiphantom Sun Sep 12, 2010 11:42 am

Thats cause bandai aint got shit on 2ez lol
owwruiphantom
owwruiphantom
Genin
Genin

Back to top Go down

Post  pyrot53 Sun Sep 12, 2010 3:05 pm

I like the reactions to this article. Hopefully we will be having these once a week. Tell your friends about how awesome the articles are ;D
pyrot53
pyrot53
ANBU
ANBU

https://2ezforums.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum